The first 30 days of our 365-Day Indie Author Challenge, which starts on March 1st, are dedicated to writing the first chapter of your novel.
But wait … if it takes a month to write one chapter, won’t it take years to write the whole book?
Nope! In fact, after Chapter One, you’ll be on track to get your first draft done in just six months.
Why is this? It’s because when you invest some time in writing Chapter One, it brings 3 big benefits:
1. Lays the foundation. A lot of the fun, imaginative work is done in the first chapter—dreaming up settings, introducing characters, and developing your writing style. As you move on to the next chapters, and new ideas start coming to you left and right, you’ll be able to stay focused by building on what you already have.
2. Hooks readers. There are moments in Chapter One that are totally key: your first sentence, first paragraph, and first page are of utmost importance for pulling your readers in, and the very last scene is your chance to end on a cliffhanger, so readers can’t help but keep turning the pages. During the first 30 days, you’ll learn how to do all this!
3. Confidence & momentum. Once you’ve written a solid first chapter, it gets easier from there. As you get more comfortable with the basics of novel writing, you gain the confidence and motivation you need to pick up the pace.
Starting March 1st, join us in the 365-Day Indie Author Challenge and take the first 30 days to write your first chapter.
In just the first 14 days, you’ll learn about:
- Turning your idea into a story
- How much planning should you do?
- How to write an elevator pitch
- Where to find inspiration for more ideas
- Creating your first setting
- Why write a synopsis?
- How to write a killer first sentence
- How your first paragraph can draw in more readers
- Breathing life into your main character
- How to write a first chapter that pops
Sign up for FREE for all of this … and much more!
The story you’ve always wanted to tell is waiting for you. All you need to do is tell it!
See you there,
Timothy Pike (Tim)
Founder of ChapterBuzz